Follow me on Facebook

Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Facebook

Thursday, 5 February 2015

Bully Bully

It is no secret that the internet is full of trolls and bullies. These consist of many weirdo's, freaks and nasties and are often people who wouldn't dare speak up in their real life so take out their anger, shrouded by the protective anonymity of their computer screens. The only positive about these types is that they are recognised for what they are and their opinions and hurtful words are often discounted immediately. Basically, no one listens to the crap they dribble because they are tools.

My concern is the rapidly emerging onslaught of a new type of internet bully. These are less common and often over looked. I'm talking about the grammar Nazi. These sneaky little suckers, slip into conversations and not only get away with bullying but try to come out looking like they have preformed a public service. No one ever questions them. They let it go and the bullying continues in the fear that another onslaught of comma courtesy will be discussed in depth.

Although this type annoys me somewhat, it is a minor irritation. Like my husband when I wrote him a heart felt note. I expressed my undying love and listed all the things I love about him. His response- "You spelled affection wrong." Umm okay, thanks for the spelling lesson. Can you help me spell divorce?

Then there are the bullies that try to start arguments and when they can't think of a decent comeback they turn into your tenth grade English teacher and pick faults with your spelling because they have nothing else. Pft, dude you lost, move on!

A lot of these people, cause a severe case of eye rolling on my side of the computer but to tell the truth, most of it is my own fault. I often don't use punctuation, not because I can't but because I'm lazy. I can't be bothered. If I write cant or can't, I have reason to believe you can read both just fine. So I'm not stopping to add an apostrophe just to keep others happy. I'm not going to let an apostrophe slow down my thoughts. I have too much other shit to do.

The type that really, really get my goat are the ones that pick on people that don't know better. I have a dear friend. She is smart and funny and gives the best advise about pretty much everything. Unfortunately she has an issue with spelling. She always has for as long as I've known her and I'm pretty old so it's been awhile. Quite often when she is on social media, trying to chat with her friends, others will come on and correct her spelling or laugh at her attempts to express herself through the written word. This really irks me, She doesn't deserve that ridicule and if you can read it enough to understand her point- who freakin' cares. Maybe take note of the message more so than the grammar.

These bullies are not helping, they are not educating us. They are causing us severe rectal pain- so please, just read this and don't point out my mistakes because to do so would be a social etiquette mistake on your behalf, so read, enjoy and leave positive comments.  Luv yas (See what I did there? heehee)

13 comments:

  1. What a good read! I used to always correct everyone's grammar. I had to pull back, when I realized it was not constructive. Being mindful of other's feelings is always important. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naughty girl Lauren but at least you see the error of your ways haha. Come to the dark side ;)

      Delete
  2. It all stems from low self-esteem, period!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where it comes from or why people seem to find it acceptable. If someone was trying their hand at something else it wouldn't be ok to publicly laugh at them or point out their shortcoming in front of others. I don't know why spelling etc is different. Maybe you are right Michael :)

      Delete
  3. Those grammar nazis will be annihilated when they come to the Phils, Suzie. Don't ya worry. We abbreviate like crazy. Hw r u? Wat r u doing? Wn will u b home? :)

    We wl mke thngs ryt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha np luv, I wd fit in ovr there.. x

      Delete
  4. I have to admit, I am picky about grammar and punctuation, but at the same time, I would never call anyone out on it to publicly embarrass or humiliate them. I think it's because I was a medical transcriptionist for 37 years and taught it for 13 of those years, and a big part of that was G&P, especially because there are times when wrong punctuation can change the meaning, and in medical records, that can be serious. I think it also depends on the venue. A text message, tweet, Facebook post, things like that--yeah, I certainly don't care if I see typos or abbreviations. Even in books, I have rarely read one yet that didn't have a few errors, including my own. So I'm not a grammar nazi and I'm not a fanatic. But I am old school, so I will also admit I don't often use abbreviations. Please don't throw tomatoes at me!! I promise the red pen only comes out when asked! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, worked as a medical transcriptionist, and I can be picky as well. It helps when proofreading, but not so much when writing a review. I do understand, however, that some so-called "errors" are stylistic, especially in dialogue. I do, after all, love Mark Twain!

      Delete
    2. Patty and Con Chuck I think it's ok if you are reading an official document or a book. I meant during Facebook comments, texts etc. I am sure you lovely ladies would never do it just to seem superior and to hurt people's feelings. If it's your job it's a bit different haha. :)

      Delete
  5. First of all, thank you for adding me on Google +

    Interesting read.

    But it was not because of Grammar Nazi that I moved the blog with my online novel around the internet -- it is on its fourth e-address now. I wish they were pointing my spelling or punctuation mistakes, instead of down rating my story simply because the protagonist is gay. The story was not being taken in consideration, whether it was well written or interesting or not. Again, I'd be happier with Grammar Nazi than homophobes.

    "...hurtful words are often discounted immediately. Basically, no one listens to the crap they dribble because they are tools..." It felt differently, when the crap and hurtful words was being pointed at me.

    I'm just leaving this comment here to bring another point of view, not maximizing but also not minimizing bullying over the internet.

    But I have learned a lesson, in the same direction as you point here. I'll make a stand with my blog and my story, despite whichever army attacks it.

    By the way, I did not see any mistakes of any sort. It was a lovely read.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to visit and to leave a response. The blog is a bit light hearted. I know there are bigger and badder bullies on the internet but this was just a good chance to have a little bit of revenge on those other nasty's that might not even realize they are. I'm sorry for what has happened to your book and blog. I have some friends that write erotica and they are always getting crappy reviews from people who don't like the sex and language they use- even though it was clearly an erotic novel. They never pick on the Authors ability to tell a story or anything else that might warrant a one star review. Simply that they didn't like the content. Thats just stupid. Everyone likes different stuff, if the book wasnt for them they should just move on. As for your book, does it really matter.. love is love. It shouldn't matter who it is with or between but just the fact that it exists. Keep doing what you are doing and let those haters hate. I would be glad to read your blog :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your kind response, Suzie. Maybe I took it too earnestly, but I was feeling hurt at the moment -- not with your post, of course, but with the bullies.

      I should stop by more often, once this blog is light hearted as you put it, so that I can unwind myself. Sounds lovely!

      I'm sorry for your friends who write erotica to be down rated like that. I can relate, though my story is not erotic.

      Thank you for your words of support, I still have a lot to learn -- in writing, and how to "let those haters hate". No wonder you have a thriving blog -- you are a wonderful hostess to it.

      If you'd like to check my story, it is being published serially, online @ https://lutsepisodes.blogspot.com

      Oh, the Grammar police will love it -- I do make mistakes :)

      Delete
    3. Hi there, thank you for your kind words :) I hope You will learn to ignore the haters because they will always be there. The truth is, if it's not you they are hating on it will be someone else and if it's not for this it will be for that. Surround yourself with people who believe in what you are doing and who appreciate your words. That will quieten their voices a little.

      I actually stopped by to read your story a few days ago but was having trouble finding part 1. I have just followed the link you sent and now I've found it so I will look forward to reading. I did sneak a peek at a random part and it drew me in immediately. I am just a bit tech challenged so bare with me.

      As far as the grammar police go, don't worry about them, I think I scared them all away. I will be sure to leave you comments as I go :)

      Delete